World Refugee Day is a day to raise awareness about the plight of refugees around the world and to gather support for the United Nations High Commission for Refugees. It is observed around the world on June 20th each year. This event honors the courage, strength and determination of women, men and children who are forced to flee their homeland under threat of persecution, conflict and violence.
Locally the Mohawk Valley Resource Center for Refugees holds a celebration and additional community events to raise awareness and to celebrate the spirit of the individuals who have come to our home communities as refugees. Your support is a commitment to welcome and building community with many cultures.
Consider the following levels of support.
- $1,000 can give a refugee family of four a safe place to live for two months.
- $500 can fill kitchen cupboards for 7 newly arriving refugee families.
- $250 can provide learning materials for 17 refugees studying English.
- $100 can help 8 refugee children get ready for their first day of school in the US.
- $50 can provide bus transportation to work for 40 refugees for one day.
- $25 can give clean bed linens and towels to a refugee family of four.
If you would like to contribute to or sponsor this event click here to download the complete sponsorship form. Completed forms can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to:
World Refugee Day Donation
309 Genesee St.
Utica, NY 13501
- If being a presenting sponsor or a major supporter is not an option but you would still like to contribute to this event visit the Donate Today! page or Volunteer to get involved.
MVRCR is registered as a 501(c)(3) with the IRS and all donations are tax deductible.