Traffic Safety & Child Passenger Safety
Traffic Safety is funded by NYS Governors Traffic Safety Committee. Our Multi-cultural Traffic Education program is recognized for having a strong linguistic and cultural approach.
Traffic Safety Programs and Resources Include:
- Pedestrian Safety (walking safely, parking lot safety and looking for traffic)
- Bicycle Safety
- Automobile safety for passengers and drivers
- Permit and Licence Preparation
- Education Offered 0ffered at the Refugee Center on a regular basis
- Individual support and computer lab and hands-on practice with driving simulators
- Translated Permit Guides available in the following languages: Arabic, Burmese, Karen, and Nepali
- Driving Responsibly (DWI, Distracted Driving and additional relevant information) translated in Arabic, Burmese, Karen, Nepali, Russian
Child Passenger Seat Program by Appointment with income qualification:
- Education & Distribution of Child Passenger Seats
- MVRCR Employs 6 Certified Child Passenger Seat Technicians
- Translated Child Passenger Seat information available in: Arabic, Burmese,French, Karen, Kinyarwanda, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Russian, Vietnamese
For information contact Lisanne Divine at (315) 738-1083 Ext. 146 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Fire Safety Education Project (CFSE)
The fire safety materials posted on this website are a component of the Community Fire Safety Education Project (CFSEP), a collaboration between the Mohawk Valley Resource Center for Refugees, the Utica Municipal Housing Authority, and the Utica Fire Department. The Project aims to reduce injury and deaths caused by fire among firefighters, low-income public housing residents, limited English proficient refugee and immigrant populations, and persons with physical disabilities. This project was made possible in 2014, when the Utica Municipal Housing Authority received Fire Prevention and Safety Grant funding provided through DHS/FEMA's grant program directorate Assistance to FireFighters Grant Program.
Educational videos are available in 10 languages (Arabic, Bosnian, Burmese, English, Karen, Kizigua, Maay Maay, Nepali, Russian, Spanish). Click HERE to view the videos on the MVRCR YouTube page.
Educational Flyers are available in 8 languages (Arabic, Bosnian, Burmese, English, Karen, Nepali, Russian, Spanish).
Enhanced Cultural Orientation Activities
- MVRCR and the Adult Learning Center partner with many community organizations to offer additional information sessions about health, fire safety, finance, immigration, and important community programs.
- Sessions are language specific and utilize trained interpreters
One World Artisans
One World Artisans Website!
- The Mohawk Valley Resource Center for Refugees, the artisan’s, and the thINCubator teamed up to create and deploy One World Artisan’s, an opportunity for refugee’s and newcomer entrepreneurs to get involved with the community, sell their artisanal goods and learn the fundamentals of operating a business by managing the One World Artisan’s cart.
- Refugees and newcomers who’ve shown an interest in business and for those who have a talent for creating unique artisan goods inspired the idea of One World